Monday, June 20, 2011

the loss of a child

It has been one year since I started to work with Make-A-Wish. Today marks the second wish kid that I have had pass away. I will always love what I do, but days like today make my "job" hard.
This little boy was a sweet little boy. Just three weeks ago the family traveled to go on their wish. He wanted to see Mickey more than anything. They had to drive rather than fly because of his condition. The travel had to be moved twice because of his illness. Just days after his return he had surgery and never came out of the hospital. My heart just goes out to the family. This family is actually one that I have known since I was 10. I can not imagine loosing a child. My heart breaks for the mother. The twin brother who is healthy is also suffering something far too big for me to imagine as well. Not too mention the rest of the family. I feel sick over this and just don't understand why.
Why does God create and then for us to loose for just a short time later. Why does cancer exist? Why do other fatal illnesses occur? Why do kids have to suffer? Why do kids get abused? Why do kids get into the foster system or become orphans?
These are things that I do not understand.
Although for now, I will do what I can to reach out to families and others so that the pain is a little less and the kids get a wish of a lifetime and maybe one less orphan will not have a home because of my heart that is heavy for kids.
By the way, on a happy note, a weeks ago, I went to meet one of my other wish kids at the airport to welcome him home and I loved the smile on his face when he told me that he caught an 80 pound fish in Alaska. He wanted to go deep sea fishing, and that is what he did.
And little boy, you were so precious in just the short time I knew you. My heart aches for the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of two boys and a girl. Their ages are 7, 5 and almost 3. I have been happily married for 12 years. I love spending time with my family and being a mom.